Introduction to Copyright Management Principles and Issues (Jan. 25 to Feb. 10)
Mon, 01/25/2010 - 9:00am - Sat, 01/30/2010 - 5:00pm
About the Event
This online course is an introduction to the Certificate in Copyright Management: Principles and Issues. Topics covered include:
- how and why copyright has become a "librarian" issue
- what copyright management means
- the importance of copyright compliance
- demystifying copyright myths
- basic copyright law principles
- the concept of "gray" areas
- working with and without an attorney
- determining your goals in the Copyright Certificate Program
Brand NEW to this offering of CCM 100: Participants will receive a workbook which will be used to organize the course materials and readings and will act as invaluable reference material. Using the workbook will save time and allow the participant to concentrate on all the important components of the course, including the readings, the Webex online presentations and sessions, and contributing to the course online discussions. The workbook will allow you to customize the course to meet your copyright needs. The workbook is only available to course registrants.
Course Learning Objectives
At the end of this course, participants will understand the role of the librarian vis-à-vis copyright management issues, and apply this information to your specific role in your own enterprise. The participant will be able to assess the need for copyright management in their enterprise, understand basic copyright law principles, "flag" a copyright issue and understand the relevancy and importance of being copyright compliant. Participants will be able to distinguish between copyright myths and realities, comprehend that copyright law has many ambiguities, and how a librarian can successfully manage copyright management issues without a law degree.
Specific Learning Outcomes:
- Define and outline the role of the librarian in copyright management issues.
- Describe the meaning of copyright management.
- Outline and explain the need for your enterprise to be copyright compliant.
- Define what copyright law is, and how it is distinguished from other areas of intellectual property.
- Illustrate basic copyright law principles, and distinguish them from misinformation about copyright law.
- Identify and define your specific goals in the Certificate in Copyright Management.
Presented by: Lesley Ellen Harris
Cost: $195 SLA members; $295 nonmembers